More Brake Work

26 06 2012

Recently my daily driver, a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, has been having some shuttering under braking.  I needed to get it in the garage and get the wheels off and see what was going on.  So that meant I needed to get the Legend off of the jack stands, which meant the brakes needed put back together.

I was having an issue with the right rear caliper when I last worked on the car.  Not really an issue I guess, but the piston on the rear calipers is a screw in type.  It’s pretty difficult getting that piston screwed back in when you need to change brake pads.  I started working on it, then moved on to something else, and eventually forgot about it.  I put all the other rotors on, put the calipers back on the other three corners, tightened everything down, and gave the brake pedal a few pumps to see how it felt.  When I got out and walked over to my tool box, it was then that I realized I hadn’t finished the right rear and the caliper wasn’t attached.  With my previous pumping of the brakes, since there was no rotor for the caliper to clamp on, the piston in the caliper came out and was laying on the floor in a pool of brake fluid.  crap.  Took a bit, but I got it back in properly and screwed in all the way.  Then I decided I needed to bleed the brakes.  Which meant I needed to go to the local auto parts store for more brake fluid, brake cleaner, gloves, and some 1/4″ tubing.

Put back together and ready to bleed:

  

Once I got back from the store, I asked my wife if she could help me out (I needed someone to pump the brake pedal).  I followed the sequence in the manual, which is Left Front (LF), Right Rear (RR), Right Front (RF), Left Rear (LR).  I used some cheap DOT3 fluid because I know I am going to be bleeding again when I put race pads on and new rotors before race season, so I figured I would use the good stuff then.

It’s a good thing I bled the brakes.  I have never seen brake fluid so disgusting.  In the front it was a dark red/amber color, and thick.  In the rear it literally looked like chocolate milk with rust in it.  Its amazing stopped when I drove it before.  But now it is all clean and good to go.  The pedal felt nice and firm on the quick test drive.  I can’t wait for the race pads!

After the brake job, and the diagnosing of the Jeeps issues, I decided to clean out my work space a bit.  My parents had been storing some of their stuff in my garage while they were renovating their house.  Now that they have moved everything out, I have space again!  I moved all the stuff that was behind the car, over to the other bay in the shop.  Now my work area is clean and ready for the real work to begin!

All clean & ready to lose some weight (the car that is)

 

After finishing the days work, I decided to go ahead and order some of the parts I needed.  I ordered everything from Rock Auto.  I ordered:

  1. 2 Front Lower Ball Joints
  2. 2 Front Upper Control Arms with Bushings
  3. 2 Front Outer Tie-Rod Ends
  4. Oil Pump Gasket set
  5. Oil Filter 
  6. Valve Cover Gaskets

I also ordered some other parts for the Jeep.  Once the parts come in I will begin installing them, but in the meantime I am going to start stripping the car.

Stay tuned for more updates!

Advertisements

Actions

Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: